Pay monthly tuition here!
**Note: Please be sure to input your child's name on the 'Review Your Payment' screen where requested.
Make costume payments here!
**Note: Please be sure to input your child's name on the 'Review Your Payment' screen where requested.
Click here to find us using the metro.
Making Moves Dance Collective 2022-2023 Schedule
In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic and in an effort to make our facility as safe as possible for both students and teachers, the following methods will go into effect immediately for in classroom instruction. Please note, the safety of our dance family is of the upmost importance to us and should we need to resort to instruction via an online platform, we will do so.
- All families with dancers seeking in person instruction will be required to sign a COVID-19 waiver.
- Dancers ages 7 or under may be escorted to class by a parent (parent must be wearing a mask); however, once the dancer is dropped off with the teacher or teacher assistant, the parent must exit the building.
- All dancers will have their temperatures checked via infrared thermometer in the main lobby area prior to class beginning.
- Dancers ages 8 and up are expected to enter the building without parental escort. You may walk your dancer to the door (with a mask on) but please do not cross the threshold.
- Until further notice, students will enter through the main entry door and be dismissed through the side door outside of studio 2. For dismissal, a teacher, teacher assistant or volunteer will bring the class out. It is imperative a parent/guardian be there promptly at dismissal so the teacher and teacher assistant can prepare the studio for the next class.
- Each classroom will have cubbies set up. Dancers should place their belongings in a cubby upon entry and proceed to designated marked areas on the studio floor. (The floor will be marked in order to ensure social distancing during classes).
- The MMDC waiting room area and dressing room will both be closed until further notice. Parents are welcome to wait outside or in their cars for their dancers.
- Dancers with a break between classes will no longer be permitted to wait inside the studio. They are more than welcome to wait outside with a parent or guardian until their next class begins. No dancer is to be left outside unattended between classes.
- There are hand sanitizer stations set up in each classroom. Dancers should remove their street shoes and sanitize their hands when they enter the classroom.
- Dancers will be required to wear a mask during dance classes and masks are mandatory at all times inside the facility.
- As hard as it will be, remind your dancer no physical contact will be allowed. Teacher to student or student to student. That means no hugs or handshakes. Teachers will wear gloves for any required personal contact with students.
- Until further notice, MMDC will have a designated restroom and the Ballet Academy will have a designated restroom. If your dancer uses the restroom, they should thoroughly wash their hands, dry them and then use the sanitizer station before restarting class. A MMDC volunteer will sanitize our restroom after each usage.
- Dancers who bring water are asked to bring disposable water bottles to eliminate germs that may be carried in on metal, reusable bottles.
- All Hip Hop dancers are required to have a designated pair of sneakers that are either brand new or have been disinfected.
- Studios will be cleaned and disinfected after every class to include: light switches, door knobs, speaker knobs, floors, any equipment used (barres, mats, etc.).
- If anyone in your household is diagnosed with or in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID, please notify the studio immediately.
- Families are asked to refer to the below list of questions. If you answer yes to any of them, you will not be permitted in the studio and it is suggested you/your dancer/your household quarantine and get checked by your physician:
- Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19 (Yes/No):
- Have you had any known or likely contact with anyone with COVID-19 (Yes/No):
- Has anyone in your household been exposed to or diagnosed with COVID-19:
- Have you exhibited any of the following COVID-19 symptoms* within the past 14 days:
*fever, shortness of breath, cough, sore throat, muscle pain, headache, new loss of smell or taste, chills, diarrhea
The above policies will be in effect until such time the national COVID-19 pandemic is brought under control. You will receive communication from the Directors at the time these policies cease.
Let's Jump Right to It!
- ACRO is the beautiful fusion of classic dance technique and the precision and athleticism of acrobatic elements. MMDC has 3 instructors certified in the Acrobatic Arts curriculum.
- BALLET is aimed at both the recreational and the aspiring professional dancer. Making Moves Dance Collective follows the American Ballet Theater (ABT) curriculum which embraces sound ballet principles and incorporates elements of the French, Italian and Russian schools of training. The ABT curriculum trains students to use their bodies correctly by focusing on kinetics, coordination, anatomy, and proper body alignment. This National Training Curriculum strives to provide students with a rich knowledge of classical ballet technique and the ability to adapt to all styles and techniques of dance.
- CONTEMPORARY dance is a form of expressive dance that combines elements of several dance genres including modern, jazz, lyrical and classical ballet. Contemporary dancers strive to connect the mind and body through fluid dance movements.
- HIP HOP evolved out of street and break-dancing moves and is characterized by its vigorous athletics and bouncy style. Hip Hop is danced primarily to Hip Hop, Rap and R & B music.
- JAZZ is a style of dance that emphasizes isolation of movement, especially in the upper body. It is a rhythmic dance form with Ballet and Modern Dance contributing to its elegance.
- LYRICAL dance interprets interpret the lyrics or mood (intent) of a song (with or without words) using a combination of ballet and/or jazz and/or modern technique. This form includes the use of legwork, balance, and facial and body emotion.
- THE MCGOVERN METHOD is an intense technique-only class which focuses on a dancer’s core, hip strength, hip rotation improvement, body alignment, flexibility, extension, strength, accurate weight distribution and adjustments. MMDC has one instructor certified in the McGovern Method.
- MODERN dance at MMDC is taught using Horton Technique. Horton emphasizes a whole body, anatomical approach to dance that includes flexibility, strength, coordination and body and spatial awareness to enable unrestricted, dramatic freedom of expression.
- TAP is percussive footwork that marks out precise rhythmic patterns on the floor. This class assists the students with developing a sense of rhythm and increases strength in the lower body (legs, ankles, and feet).
- TECHNIQUE a nonperformance class in which dancers will master the ability to demonstrate extensions, turns, leaps and jumps. Stretching and core work will be an important part of this class. While finding and strengthening core muscles, dancers will be instructed in how to execute and perfect high extensions, powerful turns and high jumps while maintaining balance and control.
- TINY TOTS is an introduction to tap, ballet and creative movement for tots. This class will teach the basics to tap and ballet in a creative and fun environment, yet still have structure within the class for the tot to learn and flourish.
- TOTS HOP AND ROLL is an introduction to hip hop and gymnastics for tots. This class will teach vital skills of balance, coordination, body awareness and flexibility.
STRUCTURE OF SEASON
MMDC plans to open with in person instruction on Monday, September 12, 2022, and run through our recital, which is scheduled for Sunday, June 25, 2023.
ONLINE CLASS FORMAT
In the event federal, state, or local emergencies and mandated shutdowns, classes will be provided via either a live streaming or pre-recorded online video platform. These classes will be equal in both content and value to live, in person classes. Tuition prices will remain the same for online/video classes. Although, you do reserve the right to withdraw your dancer from online classes, please understand the classes must be completed to perform in the Spring recital/showcase.
MMDC has a strict no refund policy. In the event of closures due to extreme weather conditions, unforeseen circumstances, federal, state, or local emergencies and mandated shutdowns, there will be no refunds issued for missed classes.
Any other fees will not be refunded; however, an account credit which expires 365 days after the date of issue, will be applied as appropriate. This credit can be used for future classes/workshops/intensives sponsored by MMDC.
Please note: Tuition is priced out per session. For example, an hour-long class costs $770 from September through mid-June. We have broken down the tuition amounts into comfortable monthly payments. Since the fee is per session, please understand there is no pro-rated tuition for short months or missed classes and makeup classes are offered at the discretion of the MMDC Directors.
Hours per week
Fall session total
Manageable monthly payment
There will be a 25% discount for siblings who enroll in a class
REGISTRATION FEES/PAYMENT SCHEDULE/PAYMENT OPTIONS
- The registration fee is $25.00 per student or $50.00 per family. Returning students will receive a $5.00 loyalty discount off of the registration fee. ($20.00 per student or $45.00 per family).
- Tuition payments are due on either the 1st or the 20th of every month. The parent will have the option of which date is better for their family and the payment will be automatically debited by using a credit card held on file.
- Automated Payments - MMDC will only collect tuition payments by using an automated payment plan. Everyone month, a payment will be automatically deducted from a major debit or credit card. This information will be given to the studio at the time of registration. However, additional costs (i.e., costume payment, competition payment, etc.) maybe be paid at the parent’s discretion. If you do not enroll in the automated payment system, your account will incur an additional administrative fee of $10.00 per month. MMDC will accept payments in the form of a check, credit card, cash, or money order. The automated payment feature is used by Vantiv / integrated payments, formerly Element, a secure banking entity. A $20.00 late payment fee will be automatically assessed by our system 5 days after your payment due date.
- If tuition is over 30 days past due, a phone call will be made to the account holder (parent) and the student will not be permitted in the building until payment has been made and the student’s account is current.
- If tuition is over 45 days past due, the student will be automatically withdrawn. The student will have to register to come back to class. Even if a student is dropped, the parent is responsible for paying any past due balances.
RETURNED CHECK POLICY
There will be a $35.00 fee assessed to all return checks. Additionally, after one returned check, payments will only be accepted in the form of cash, money order or certified checks. No checks will be accepted from anyone after June 3, 2023.
DROP DAY (D-DAY) – IN CASE OF FULL SEASON
ALL account balances must be at zero by the close of business Saturday, June 3, 2023. Students with any outstanding balance due to MMDC as of the close of business 6/3/23, will be dropped from all classes and not allowed to participate in pictures, rehearsal, or recital. Please note: All June tuition payments will be ran on June 1st for the last month of tuition. Even 20th tuition payers will be charged on June 1st.
IMPORTANT MMDC ACCOUNT INFORMATION
- All balances (tuition, competition, costume, ticket fees or other) must be paid off by MMDC’s official D-Day.
- Even if costume balances are paid in full, costumes will not be released to any student/family with an outstanding balance (tuition, competition, ticket fees or other).
- If necessary, MMDC will take legal action to collect any unpaid/past due fees. MMDC will seek judgment in the amount of the past due balance plus the cost of our filing fees.
ENROLLMENT AND PLACEMENT IN CLASSES
MMDC’s Schedule for beginner dancers are broke into two levels, Beginner I (ages 6-10) and Beginner II (ages 11&up). Beginner classes are geared towards dancers with moderate to no experience. If a dancer needs to be leveled up, MMDC Staff will be in contact with all parties involved, studio Directors and student guardian(s).
Intermediate to advanced dancers are recommended to enroll in Level Classes, which are Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4. A student’s level is determined by their skill set, technique, knowledge of dance terminology, and/or teacher recommendation. Progression to the next level is determined by MMDC Staff, not by an automatic progression from one level to the next.
Below are general prerequisites for MMDC Acro classes; however, other factors such as maturity, flexibility, strength, and consistency will also be considered. Some students may need more conditioning at a lower level in order to get better at basic skills they will need for a higher level.
- Level 1 Acro Technique and Performance – Participant must already be able to execute headstand balance, bridge press up hold, forward roll/ shoulder rolls.
- Level 2 Acro Technique and Performance – Participant must already be able to execute all level 1 skills in addition to All level 1 skills in addition to a straight arm bridge, handstand balance, cartwheel (both sides preferred).
- Level 3/4 Acro Technique and Performance – Participant must already be able to execute all skills from level 1 and level 2 in addition to walkovers, elbow stand balance, and 1 hand skills (cartwheels- walkovers etc. ).
MMDC WITHDRAWAL POLICY
- If the studio has not received payment in over 45 days, the student will be automatically withdrawn from all his/her classes. If the student wishes to proceed with classes, a new registration will be required.
- If you withdraw after costumes have been ordered and we are able to cancel your costumes, you will incur a $25.00 costume cancellation fee for each costume cancellation. If we are unable to cancel your costume, you will be responsible for the price of the costume in full and will be required to come pick the costume up when it is delivered to the studio.
Please make sure you stay in the know!
- NEWSLETTER: We email out a newsletter at the beginning of each month. The newsletter is always full of pertinent information.
- WEBSITE: Frequently check our website www.makingmovesdc.org.
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Make sure you follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- TEXT ALERTS: You can text @MMDC to 240-696-0266 to opt in to receive important text alerts.
- BAND APP: Email the studio at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your invitation to the studio Band App. Band App hosts a calendar as well as posts with information you need to know. It’s a quick and easy way to communicate with us!
Dancers may be left at the studio on Saturdays between classes at your own discretion. We are not staffed to babysit or monitor dancers who are on break. Dancers who chose to stay must follow all MMDC Facility Etiquette.
MMDC Facility Etiquette
- There will be no rough-housing, loud voices or running in the building.
- Parents need to be sure that younger children are always supervised.
- Students are expected to keep the bathrooms, dressing room, waiting areas, kitchenette, and classrooms neat and clean. Dancers and visitors are expected to pick up after themselves.
- Dancers are expected to wait in the building for their ride.
- Parents drop off and pick up your children on time. There is a strict late pick up fee. After a five-minute grace period, you will be charge $1.00 per minute you are late. Payment will be due upon pick up. If the fee must be assessed to your account, late fees will be added. The earliest you can drop your dancer off is 15minutes before his/her class time.
- Under no circumstance should a student ever wear dance shoes outside.
- Parents sitting in the lobby are asked to be respectful to MMDC staff, fellow parents, and students.
MMDC Classroom Etiquette
- Students are required to come to class on time, dressed appropriately, and hair pulled back into a bun or ponytail.
- If students are more than 10 minutes late for class, they may be asked to sit and observe. Latecomers can be a distraction to the other dancers and proper warm-up is important to prevent injury.
- No gum, candy, food, or beverages (other than water) are allowed in the classroom.
- Parents of our Tiny Tots are asked to take their dancer to the bathroom prior to class to avoid the inevitable chain reaction once one student has to go during class.
- Students will not sit on the floor or lean on the walls during class. MMDC students are expected to be always attentive and alert; particularly when an instructor is correcting another student so that they may also learn from the correction.
- Students will not talk during class and will raise their hands to be called on.
- All cell phones must be turned off during class.
Dance is a commitment, and your dancer is expected to attend each class. Poor attendance and /or excessive tardiness may result in your child being removed from recital/performance choreography. This decision is made at the discretion of the instructor and Directors regardless of any entry fees, tuition, extra rehearsal fees or costume fees which may have been remitted.
RIGHT TO DISMISS/ REFUSE/REMOVE/DEBAR FROM MMDC STUDIO OR STUDIO EVENTS
- MMDC reserves the right to dismiss any student or parent from the program and/or studio due to disruptive, unruly, and/or offensive behavior. A verbal or physical assault by any student or parent is considered unruly behavior and will be cause for MMDC to remove a dancer from the program. No refunds (tuition, costume, competition, recital fee or other) will be issued due to a student being removed from MMDC for one of the reasons listed above. If your costumes have been already ordered; you will be responsible for payment in full despite the fact your dancer will not be performing.
- Inappropriate words, actions, gestures, or threats to any MMDC affiliate to include directors, instructors, administrative staff, board members, fellow students, guests, or vendors will result in removal/debarment from all MMDC events. MMDC events may include, but are not limited to public performances, competitions, stage rehearsals and recitals. Individuals in violation of the above policy will be removed immediately and not permitted to participate regardless of any entry fees, rehearsals or rehearsal fees that may have been remitted.
- As previously stated in the attendance/punctuality policy, a dancer may be removed from some or all recital pieces, regardless of tuition, costume, or entry fees previously paid, due to poor attendance and/or excessive tardiness.
- It is extremely important for every MMDC student to come to class properly attired for dance. Please note, even if classes revert to an online format, proper dance attire is still required. Proper dance attire allows our instructors to make sure each student is using proper body alignment and technique. Students tend to work harder and “present” themselves as dancers when they are properly attired. Additionally, all students should have their hair pulled away from their face during classes. Big jewelry, baggy clothes, tennis shoes, hoodies, jean jackets, jeans, and sunglasses are prohibited from all classes.
- Tiny Tots/Beginner students: Leotard, Tights, black Bloch Mary Jane Tap Shoes, and pink leather ballet shoes. (Ballet skirts are optional.)
- Intermediate students: Leotard, Tights, black Bloch Mary Jane Tap Shoes, pink leather ballet shoes and black slip-on jazz shoes. Ballet skirts, dance shorts and jazz pants are optional.
- Ballet students: Leotard, Tights, Ballet Shoes with hair pulled back in a bun.
- Modern/Lyrical/*Jazz/Technique- Leotard, Tights, *Jazz Shoes
- The McGovern Method - Tight fitting clothing such as leotards, sports bras, tanks, leggings or shorts are appropriate. Leotard or any kind of athletic clothing. If tights are worn they should be footless. Clothing should not hinder movement (no jeans, t-shirts, sweatpants, no socks). No baggy shirts that will fall.
- Hip Hop students: Flexible clothing and tennis shoes. ABSOLUTELY NO JEANS, SANDALS OR BOOTS!
- Acro – Females: Either a one-piece unitard, a leotard with biker shorts or a leotard with footless tights and bare feet.
- Acro Males: Basketball shorts with either a fitted tank top or a Dry-Fit style shirt and bare feet.
- OUR DRESS CODE WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED. NO STUDENT WILL BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN CLASS WEARING JEANS. ANY STUDENT WHO REPORTS TO CLASS IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN DANCE ATTIRE WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIT OUT AND TAKE NOTES RATHER THAN PARTICIPATE.
Sunday, December 18, 2022
MMDC’s Winter Showcase at Laurel High School
Sunday, June 25, 2023
MMDC’s 17th annual recital at Laurel High School
All MMDC students are eligible and encouraged to perform in both of our scheduled stage performances.
There will be no stage rehearsal for our winter showcase; however, stage rehearsal for our June recital is scheduled as follows:
- Rehearsal Night 1 – Tuesday, June 20, 2023, at Laurel High School.
- Rehearsal Night 2 – Wednesday, June 21, 2023, at Laurel High School.
Detailed schedule and reporting instructions for the rehearsals will be supplied at a later date.
TICKET INFORMATION – Winter Showcase: Tickets will go on sale beginning November 12, 2022. Tickets for our Winter Showcase are $20.00 each. We do have a minimum advance ticket purchase/sell requirement of 3 tickets per individual dancer or 5 tickets per family if you have 2 or more dancers enrolled. This advance ticket sale money is due by December 10, 2022.
TICKET INFORMATION – June Recital: Tickets will go on sale beginning May 6, 2023. Tickets for our 17th annual recital are $25.00 each. We do have a minimum advance ticket purchase/sell requirement of 5 full price tickets for individual or 8 per family if you have 2 or more dancers enrolled. This advance ticket sale money is due by June 3, 2023.
All costume payments are non-refundable. In addition, should you withdraw your dancer once his/her costume has been ordered, you will be responsible for paying the full amount due for the costumes despite the fact your dancer will not be participating in the recital.
COSTUME PAYMENT SCHEDULE
$100 for main class; $25 per additional class deposit
Costume balances due
Parents will be provided with an invoice detailing the costume balance due. The costume companies will not ship any costume that is not paid for in full.
Costume fees include the price of the costume, shipping and handling and administrative fees. Core classes will receive a pair of flesh tone or tan tights as part of their costume fees. All Costume Fees include a recital t-shirt for each student. Specialty tights requested by the instructor (i.e.: full body tights, fishnets etc.) must be purchased separately by the parent.
Gymnastics or Hip Hop when taken in addition to other classes
1 stand-alone class (only Gymnastics, Ballet, Hip Hop etc. Class)
Tiny Tot Tap & Ballet Combo
Beg/Int 2 Class Combo
Beg/Int 3 Class Combo
Level 1 (Tap, Ballet and Jazz)
Levels 1 - 4 Tap, Ballet, Jazz, and Lyrical
Levels 2 - 4 Tap, Ballet, Jazz, Lyrical, and Contemporary
*If you have a male student enrolled in any class, please check with your child’s instructor to determine if a costume will be ordered for your dancer or if you are required to purchase something on your own*
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING COSTUMES
Costumes are ordered using your child’s measurements in conjunction with the measurement chart provided by each costume company. Please keep in mind that sizing may vary from company to company and depending on what material each costume is made of. Generally, any costume that comes with pants will need some form of alteration as the costume companies do not measure for length – only width and girth. MMDC IS NOT RESPONSIBLE AND WILL NOT ISSUE ANY REFUNDS FOR COSTUME FITTING ISSUES. All costumes are custom made and therefore non-returnable. If you have concerns about your child’s sizing, please see the instructor or a member of management to review your child’s measurements and the size costume ordered for him/her or to specify what size costume you would like ordered. Parents may incur additional fees and will have to make arrangements to have any alterations performed as necessary.
- Weds 11/23/22 – Sat 11/26/22- Studio is CLOSED for Thanksgiving Break. (Classes resume Mon 11/28/22).
- Thurs 12/22/22 – Mon 01/02/23 – Studio is CLOSED for Winter Break (Classes resume Tues 1/3/23).
- Mon 04/03/23 – Mon 04/10/23 - Studio is CLOSED for Spring Break (Classes resume Tues 4/11/23).
- Sat 05/27/23 – Mon 05/29/23 - Studio is CLOSED for Memorial Day weekend (classes resume Tues 5/30/23).
FEDERAL HOLIDAYS AND INCLEMENT WEATHER CLOSINGS:
- In the case of Federal Holidays, please do not assume MMDC is closed every time Prince George’s County schools, or the Federal Government is closed. Please refer to the MMDC website Calendar/Upcoming Events link and/or check your monthly newsletter for verification.
- MMDC will generally follow Prince George’s County Public Schools in case of inclement weather; however, if the weather clears classes may still be held, so please call the studio for a recorded message. There are no make-up classes or tuition discounts/reimbursements for classes missed due to inclement weather or national emergencies.
- The directors of MMDC reserve the right to close any class due to insufficient registration or attendance.
- The instructors and directors reserve the right to remove any student from class who is displaying disorderly or disruptive behavior.
- The instructors of MMDC are not responsible for lost/stolen items. Please make sure that you have clearly labeled your child’s belongings.
- MMDC staff can only be responsible for your child during the time they are scheduled to receive instruction in our facility. Parents must be on time to pick their children up. There will be a five-minute grace period at the conclusion of each class and then a babysitting fee of $1.00 per minute will be assessed.
MMDC’s mission is to provide a safe and positive arts environment to at-risk and underserved individuals in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area. MMDC offers a quality and diverse dance environment to a community that is underrepresented in the arts.